- Analysts have consistently and significantly lowered their initial annual growth forecasts mid-year for the past several years,
- Although we are in a recovery, it’s been very slow, creating a frugal mindset for all purchase decisions that will equally be slow to change.
- A continuation of our current “Do More with Less Economy”, where frugal and risk averse buyers are slow to increase funding for any business investments, especially for legacy IT such as PCs, data center hardware, telecom and services. Enterprise software remains a bright spot as organizations strive to use software to automate business processes and improve productivity,
- Emerging investments in mobility, cloud and big data ramping up, but not yet “crossing the chasm” and as such, failing to make up for the growth shortfall.
2013 Challenges for IT Solution Providers
The 3 Things You Must Do Now to Win in 2013
Engage Frugal Prospects with Provocative Marketing
- Why Change? – the Prospect has a pain worth addressing and a significant cost of “Do Nothing”,
- Why Now? –the Prospect should not wait to address the issue because they are leaving good money on the table (significant bottom-line impact, ROI and fast payback), and they are falling behind competitively (illustrated through peer comparison benchmarks),
- Why You? – that your solutions can deliver unique and superior value at a lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
Empower Sales with Value Storytelling and Quantification
Close the Deal with a CFO-ready Business Case
- Over 75% indicating significant decision making involvement,
- 41% indicating being the main decision maker for IT investments.
- Won't be considered a priority without a business case, and the larger the proposal, the more detailed and formal the case has to be,
- Won't be approved unless you show that the issue being addressed is a priority with a high cost of “doing nothing”, quantified savings / benefits from the proposed solution, and a significant ROI and fast payback,
- Won’t be advanced unless they show that the proposed project is low risk and with low resource requirements, as “do more with less” applies regardless of the ROI,
- Won't be signed off unless you can prove your solution has a lower total cost of ownership (TCO) / better value than competitive offerings.
- Engage Frugal Prospects with Provocative Marketing
- Empower Sales with Value Storytelling and Quantification
- Close the Deal with CFO-Ready Business Cases
- Gartner downgrades 2013global IT spending forecast on currency shifts
- Gartner says 2013 will be aBetter Year for IT Spending Growth?
- Gartner Says Worldwide IT Spending Forecast to Reach $3.7 Trillion in 2013
- IDC 2012 Buyer Experience Study (a survey of 204 IT buying organizations)
- Forrester Sales Enablement Conference 2013
- SiriusDecisions SiriusIndex, results from 2011 – 2013
- Sales Benchmark Index 2012-2013 reports on sales pipelines and win-loss-stall analysis