Unplanned Downtime Isn't Costly? Think Again.
Based on these metrics, the average company in the study had unplanned downtime impacts of $1.6M or more a year.
With such high annual costs, how can organizations help to reduce unplanned downtime outages and recover this lost revenue?
According to IDC, implementing IT best practice availability technology, security and management best practices can reduce the annual outage risk by as much as 85% for these midmarket firms, reducing unplanned downtime to less than 15 minutes per month, and thus saving tens of thousands of dollars per year.
IDC recommends the following initiatives can be used to reduce downtime risks (with the percentages reflecting the reduction in downtime risk impact if implemented alone):
- Management tools = 65%
- Upgrade servers, storage, networking = 50%
- Failover clustering for internally facing applications = 43%
- Standardization on single desktop OS = 30%
- Comprehensive PC security = 28%
- Thin client / blades = 25%
- Deploying multiple antivirus, antispam solutions = 15%
- Server virtualization = 10%